Christine Hendon (Fleming) is an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering (HendonCV022216). Her research interests are in developing optical imaging and spectroscopy instruments for applications in cardiac electrophysiology and interventional cardiology. Dr. Fleming received the B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2004, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Biomedical Engineering from Case Western Reserve University, 2007 and 2010.
- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University (May 2010)
- M.S., Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University (August 2007)
- B.S., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (June 2004)
- Optical coherence tomography
- Near infrared spectroscopy
- Cardiovascular imaging
- Cardiac electrophysiology
- Medical image and signal analysis
Professional and Academic Positions
- Assistant Professor, Electrical Engineering, Columbia University (2012 – present)
- Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School (2010 – 2012)
- National Institute of Health/National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. Loan Repayment Award. 2012 – 2014.
- Provost’s Small Grants Program for Junior Faculty who Contribute to the Diversity Goals of the University. Columbia University. 2013 – 2014
- NSF Broadening Participation Research Initiation Grants in Engineering (BRIGE). 2013 – 2015
- Feldstein Medical Foundation. 2014 – 2015
- Research Initiatives in Science and Engineering, Columbia University. 2014 – 2016
- NIH New Innovator Award. 2014 – 2019
- NSF CAREER Award. 2015 – 2020
- MIT Technology Review: 35 Innovators Under 35. 2013
- Forbes 30 under 30 for Science and Healthcare. 2012
- Pruitt Family Scholar Seminar Series Speaker, University of Florida. 2012
- Wellman-Bullock Postdoctoral Fellowship. Massachusetts General Hospital. 2012
- Diversity Supplement Postdoctoral Fellowship. National Institute of Health/National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. 2009 – 2012.
- National Research Service Award, Predoctoral Fellowship. National Institute of Health/National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. F31HL085939. 2006 – 2009.
- Carl Storm Minority Fellowship: Gordon Research Conferences, 2006.
- The Medtronic Foundation Fellowship, 2005-2006
- Case Prime Fellowship: Case Western Reserve University, 2004-2005
- McNair Scholar: Black Alumni/ae of MIT, 2004.
- Torchbearer: National Society of Black Engineers, 2004.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology MultiCultural Award, 2002 and 2003
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Community Service Award, 2002